Elegant and Historic Perry Estate – Not on MLS

The Walter Perry house, Circa 1830, is as rich in beauty and value as it is in history.  This very appealing antique has an open design with large rooms and wide plank pine floors. The Kitchen / Great Room opens to the backyard and the 1.25 acre lot includes an in ground pool. The first floor Den/office/family room is part of the 3637 square feet that also features 5 beds and 2 ½ baths. It is set back from the road for privacy and exemplary curb appeal.

The Perry Family History in Connecticut

According to the Weston Historical Society, the house at 187 Georgetown Road is not in its original location. It apparently was moved from the Valley Forge district (now under the Saugatuck Reservoir) in the 1920s or 1930s by Edgar B. Perry (born about 1875.) According to the local historical society records it was supposedly built either by Edgar's father Morris W. Perry (born about 1833), or by his grandfather Walter Perry (born about 1805.)Ebenezer Perry moved to Redding, from Stratford, in 1735. The Perrys, Mallorys, Morgans, Hulls, Lees, Darlings, Coleys, Bradleys, and later the Sherwoods, Battersons and Parsons all settled along this ridge which follows Rt. 107 from Georgetown toward Umpawaug Road. It was known as the Boston District.In 1767 the town of Redding was organized and in 1768 was divided into school districts. Boston District No. 5 served the children from the section that is now known as Georgetown.Around the turn of the century, Stephen Perry, an ancestor of the late Nathan Perry (Perry's Market) became Georgetown's miller. He rebuilt the dam and mill; and it became known as Perry's Mill.In 1836, William Perry wove fine wire cloth, called strainer cloth, used for straining milk and other liquids. Perry’s Mill Pond is still a popular spot for picnickers and others that enjoy its beauty.In the early 1840’s Dr. N. Perry also bought a mill and fit it up as both a grist mill and to grind spices, calling it the Glenburg Chemical Works. Their famous remedies remained very popular into the late 1800's. They made composition powders for colds, magnesia powders for indigestion, the No. 9 (a pain killer), compounds for coughs, and many others. Spices were ground and all kinds of extracts were made and sold. The local country stores all stocked Perry remedies, spices and extracts.Connecticut’s growing grape/wine industry is also tied to the Perry family. Did you know Grape Vine Cultivation was patented in Georgetown (1868) by George Perry? Just one of the countless contributions the family has made to the rich history of the area.In 1934, a fish market owner by the name of Harry Perry began to serve Hot Buttered Lobster on French bakery rolls. He grilled the rolls four at a time, heated the lobster and then slathered it in butter. Soon, the market had a new sign that read, “Home of the Famous Lobster Roll”. Other restaurants ran with the idea and the rest is “history”. Perry’s Meat/Fish Markets were in operation from the turn of the century until the 1960’s. Fish came in on Thursdays and, if it hadn't sold by Saturday night, was taken out to the community and given to the less-fortunate.Although a complete and verifiable list of property owners from 1724 to 1800 is not available, it is known that Thaddeus Perry settled in the area and, by way of marriage to Elias Bennett, received land on the ridge in the early 1800's.The first school built in The Village of Georgetown was started about 1800. Nathaniel Perry was one of the teachers. The school house stood very near to where Walter Perry's house now stands.